Monday 13 July 2009

Into week 9...

Today, the twins are officially eight weeks "old" and are starting to look something like babies. It's an amazing thing if you stop and think about it, eight weeks ago they were 8 cells in size and now they're 10+mm in size and growing rapidly.

It's just one of the truly amazing things that happens during pregnancy, the others include major mood swings and terrible bouts of what's called "gas" - and that's just me ..

I expected Elly to be a bit teary given the changes that are taking place, but I seem to suffer bouts of "sympathy emotions" when it's almost impossible to to start blubbling like a loon.

I did wonder if it was, indeed, some kind of sympathy reaction but, when I thought about it some more, I suspect it's more likely to be stress-related. Every time there's a bleed or a cramp or a stomach pain my automatic reaction is to tense up and fear the worst- we've been this far before with Matthew, further in fact, and bleeding etc always signalled something dreadful so it's difficult not to fear for the worst, so maybe the odd emotional outburst is just my body's way of telling me not to be so bloody daft.

It sounds like a whine, but it isn't. Ell and the babies are the most important ones right now and I'm not going to stand up and start shouting "Everybody look at me, I'm so important and needy", because I'm not - they are, but it raises again for me an issue that's bugged me for ages - the seeming lack of any acceptance for the father during a pregnancy, but more in that in another post...

For the time being we're all fine. Forward planning has been started at a tentative level, prams have been previewed and we're slowly getting round to clearing the room that will eventually become the nursery. It's all coming together!

No comments:

Post a Comment